Deadpool Mask

I was asked to create a Deadpool mask that started with a 3D printed shell. After being provided with a 3D printable .stl file that was purchased from etsy, printing soon began. This print came out in several different pieces that had to be glued together. Total print time was probably two days. At the time I was using a lower-end small scale printer, and the results were rarely great, so the mask was not very smooth on the outside. Normally this would require sanding, maybe some filling material, and a good amount of time to finish. In my particular case, I was finishing the mask while away from home with limited supplies and time. In lieu of this work, I opted to sew a cover out of thin sweatshirt material to smooth out the surface before covering that in a thin faux pleather. (The pleather had been the original design idea, but it was so thin that the mask’s imperfections could be seen right through it.)

The sweatshirt material was permanently attached (glued) to the printed plastic shell. Foam blocks were also glued to the inside of the shell to lift the mask up on the wearer and properly line up the eye holes. The printed mask came out looking a bit longer than we’d expected; so, if I were to do this again, I would likely aim to shorten the mask a bit before printing. Even so, the foam blocks would probably still be necessary, but they wouldn’t need to be as big.

The orientation of the eye pieces on the 3D printer bed allowed for much smoother printing, so the additional layer of smoothing material was not needed on these. The same faux pleather in black was stretched around the two (only printed in gold because that color was on hand) and glued into place. These eye pieces are held into place on the base of the mask with strong earth magnets. The magnets were glued into the mask itself while thick steel washers were secured to the eye pieces; this allows the separate parts to snap right into place. Several eye expression options are available with this print file, so use of the magnets will allow ease of swapping expressions in the future.

The simplest way to make eye lenses with the comic book white eye effect is to cut clear lenses out from just about any clear plastic retail packaging you have lying around, cover those in perforated white window sticker/film, and glue them into place. I ordered a small role of this material online. Be sure to avoid hot glue in these applications as the heat can melt your plastic.

I cut and sewed the red faux pleather outer layer based off of the freehand work I’d done on the sweatshirt layer. A zipper was added into a seam, and this outer layer was pulled tightly over the base. After it was tightly fitted, the seam allowances on the pleather were hand-stitched to the seam allowances on the sweatshirt material to hold the pleather in place.

The mask came out really well, and the only pesky parts were gluing all the pieces together really well and creating a custom pattern for covering the completed print. I should note that it would be entirely possible to print this, do a lot of finishing work, and paint it rather than sewing a cover. The white eye lenses would still be needed, and the neck of the wearer would be exposed unless you’d other wise planned to take care of that.